Aadhaar Card Complete Guide – Overview, Uses & Benefits
In our daily lives, we hear the word “Aadhaar” now and then. We know a bit about the same as it is an identity proof but often wondered as to what is Aadhaar Card. And what is it all about? And many more queries. We also know that Aadhaar is a nationwide accepted card that we need in many aspects. But probably we are not aware fully of Aadhaar and its importance. Well, let us see all those aspects here.
Aadhaar is a unique identification number issued by the Indian government to every resident of India. It is a 12-digit number that serves as proof of identity and address for various services. It is important to keep your Aadhaar card up-to-date with your current personal details and biometrics. If you have recently moved or changed your name, you can update your Aadhaar card details easily online. Once you have submitted your Aadhaar update request, you can also check the status of your update request online. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to update and check the status of your Aadhaar card online.
Uses of Aadhar card
The Government of India sponsors many social welfare programs that are focused in the direction of serving the underprivileged and the most susceptible segments of society. The Aadhaar platform gives a unique chance to the administration to rationalize their welfare distribution mechanism thus making sure that there is transparency and structured governance. We will bifurcate and explain the uses of the Aadhaar card from two perspectives, one being from a resident’s point of view and the other from the Government’s viewpoint.
How to Check Aadhaar Card Update Status Online:
Updating your Aadhaar card is important to keep your personal details and biometrics up-to-date. After updating your Aadhaar card details, you can check the status of your update by following the steps below:
- Visit the official UIDAI website: To check the status of your Aadhaar update, visit the official UIDAI website at https://uidai.gov.in/.
- Click on the “My Aadhaar” option: Once you are on the UIDAI website homepage, click on the “My Aadhaar” option and select “Aadhaar Update” from the drop-down menu.
- Select the “Check Status” option:
- On the Aadhaar Update page, you will find the “Check Status” option. Click on it to proceed.
- Enter your Aadhaar details: Enter your Aadhaar number, URN (Update Request Number), or SRN (Service Request Number), and the security code is shown on the screen.
- Click on “Get Status”: Once you have entered the details, click on the “Get Status” button.
- View the status: The next page will display the status of your Aadhaar update request. If your Aadhaar update request is successful, it will show “Your Aadhaar details have been successfully updated.”
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF AN AADHAAR CARD?
a) ID and address proof: The Aadhaar card is an identity, address, and date of birth proof all rolled into one. It is a universally acceptable card and comes in handy while opening a bank account, getting mobile/gas/electricity connections, accessing government services, etc.
b) Direct transfer benefit: To claim government subsidies and benefits of welfare schemes, you need to produce your Aadhaar card. If you link your Aadhaar with your LPG connection and a bank account, you can get the government subsidy on it directly into your account.
c) Easy availability: The Aadhaar card is available anywhere and everywhere. Besides, the physical card, you also have the option of carrying an e-Aadhaar copy through the Aadhaar application on your mobile phone.
d) Acquisition of passport: If you have an Aadhaar card, you can get your passport within 10 days. You can now apply for your passport by merely attaching the Aadhaar card as your identity, residence, and age proof.
e) e-KYC: You can use Aadhaar to complete your KYC online, thereby saving you visits to the service provider’s office.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR AN AADHAAR CARD? AND WHAT ARE THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA?
Any Indian citizen, minor, student, adult, or senior citizen, regardless of caste, creed, religion, or gender, can apply for an Aadhaar card. The eligibility criteria for an Aadhaar card are simple. You can apply for Aadhaar if:
1) You are a citizen residing in India
2) You are a non-resident Indian or foreign national who has lived in India for 182 days
3) You are a minor For the more latest news
HOW TO APPLY FOR AADHAAR CARD?
You can apply for an Aadhaar card by visiting an enrolment center near you. There is no way you can complete an Aadhaar application online as you must submit your biometric data at the Aadhaar center. You can save time by downloading the application form from the UIDAI site and filling it up before you visit the center.
Once there, the enrolment officer will take your biometrics and photograph. He/she will provide you with a 14-digit acknowledgment slip for you to check the status of your Aadhaar card on the UIDAI website. You will receive the physical copy of your Aadhaar card within 90 days. No fee is charged for fresh applicants.
WHERE TO APPLY FOR AADHAAR?
You can apply for Aadhaar at enrolment centers set up by UIDAI across the country
You can search for enrolment and update centers near you by clicking. You will find three search criteria:
1) Search by state
2) Search by pin code
3) Search using the search box