How to Change Your Username on Social Media
The username you use on social media sites can either help or hurt your brand.
One way to make sure that it helps your efforts is by making sure that the username conveys what you want it to convey.
If people are searching for content related to your brand, they should be able to find you with ease.
If you can’t be found, you risk losing market share to brands that are more easily accessible.
It’s also important that your username is available across all social media platforms.
If you update your Facebook username, make sure to update it on Twitter and Instagram as well.
In this blog, we’ll explain how to:
- change your username on YouTube
- change your username on Instagram
- change your username on Twitter
- change your username on Facebook
- change your username on TikTok
- change your username on Snapchat
What Should You Consider When Changing Your Username on Social Media?
If you’re looking to change your username on YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, and so on, you want to make sure that you’re choosing a username that is clear, simple, and easy to remember.
It should be something different from your old account name, but not too dissimilar. A username that is too much like your previous name could get confusing for users who are following both accounts.
Consider Making an Announcement of the Name Change
Once you change your name on YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, etc., you should consider announcing the change to your followers.
This is important because some social media users might not be quick to update their information with regard to your new name or username, meaning that they won’t know who you are when browsing through posts—and you’ll have to recreate brand loyalty.
Be Consistent With Your Other Social Media Account Names
You might also want to consider updating all of your profiles across different sites so that each has the same username.
This way, people who follow you on various platforms can easily navigate your social media profiles and find the information they are looking for quickly.
You’ll notice that my branding is consistent across every social media platform I use, and I always use the same username. You should do the same.
Make Sure Your Customers/Followers Can Still Find You
If you’re going to change your username on social media, you need to make sure that your current customers/followers can still find you.
This means that if they’re subscribed to your channel on YouTube or following you on Facebook, for example, then make sure these details remain the same after changing your username. You might need to update old links and bios with information regarding your new name.
You should also make sure that your new username is easy to remember and spell since this will help you in the long run.
How to Change Your YouTube Username
If you use your Google Account name and photos for your YouTube channel, you can update this information at any time (pretty easily). If you change it anywhere, it will also change the name and photo across all your Google services.
To specifically change your YouTube username, you need to:
- Sign in to your account on YouTube.
- Go to Settings by clicking on your avatar in the top right corner.
- In the Overview section, click Edit on Google next to your username.
- Update the YouTube username and click OK.
How to Change Your Facebook Username
- Open your web browser.
- Open the Facebook website and sign in if you haven’t already.
- After signing in, click your profile button in the upper-right corner, select Settings & Privacy
- Under the General Account Settings section, click on the Username option from the list., and then Settings from the menu.
- When the Username box expands, type in the name you want to use.
- Type in the new handle in the Username field, and it will let you know if it’s available or not.
- When you finish, click the Save Changes button
How to Change Your Twitter Username
To change your Twitter username follow these steps:
Click on the More button from the navigation bar.
Click on Settings and Privacy.
Click on Your account.
Click on Account information.
You will be prompted to type in your Twitter account password to confirm it’s you.
Under Account information, update the username currently listed in the Username field. If the username is taken, you’ll be prompted to choose another one.
Click the Save button.
How to Change Your TikTok Username
To change your TikTok username, follow these steps:
- Click Profile in the bottom right of your TikTok app.
- Click Edit profile.
- Type in your new TikTok username.
Keep in mind that you can only change your TikTok username once every 30 days.
How to Change Your Instagram Username
If you prefer, you can change your username
- In a web browser, go to Instagram.com
- If you’re already logged in, you’ll be prompted to continue with your account. If you’re not already logged in, enter your username and password.
- Click your profile icon on the right side of the homepage and select Profile
- Click Edit profile next to your username
- Type in your new username in the Username field.
- Click Done in the top right-hand corner.
If you have a large following on Instagram, the app may want to review your username change before it is approved.
How to Change Your Snapchat Username
- Tap in My Profile to open Settings
- Tap ‘Username‘ under the ‘My Account section
- Tap ‘Change Username‘
- Enter your new username, then tap ‘Next’
- Enter your password to confirm your username change, then tap ‘Confirm’
If you’re not sure what your username is, tap on your Profile icon at the top of the screen — your username is shown under your display name.