How to Set or Change YouTube Handle
Recently YouTube introduced a new feature called Handle, then what is YouTube Handle, and how to change it? Simply put, YouTube Handle is like a username in a social media application. Can be used to mention or tag YouTube channels.
YouTube handles are very similar to usernames on social media such as Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok. Later, users can mention or tag the youtube channel with the address of any youtube channel handle.
Use of the Handle feature on YouTube
- Can be used in video shorts
- The handle address of each channel is unique (cannot be imitated)
- Can be used to mention / tag channels in videos/comments
- Make it easy for people to find our channel
- Easier to share
The YouTube handle was introduced so that users could easily find a YouTube channel just by using the handle. Like the username, this handle is unique and cannot be used by other YouTube channels.
YouTube channel names cannot be excluded. So if we create a new channel and name the channel after an existing channel, even a well-known one can do it. Although it can be reported by the owner of the original name, even then it must be with a clear reason.
For More Related Posts And The Latest News Visit The Site.
How It Works:
YouTube has already started sending out emails and notifications to users about the new update. If you are already a creator on YouTube through YouTube Studio, then you should be able to choose a desired handle on the video-sharing platform.
If you have already customized your channel’s URL on YouTube, then the tech company will automatically assign that as your default handle. However, you will still get the option to change it.
When you get the email from YouTube Studio, click on the blue button that says ‘Choose A Handle’
Now you will be taken to the YouTube page where you will see your personal icon with a picture, name, and another message saying ‘choose your handle’.
Now, if you have already created YouTube videos, then you already have a personalized URL, so as per the tech giant, you should already have that as your handle.
In case YouTube has already assigned you a handle, then sweat not, because you can absolutely change it. Just click on the box and type a different handle as per your choice. Once you have filled all the boxes with respective details, click on ‘Confirm Selection’ to save the changes and voila, your personalized URL and handle for YouTube is now ready.
What is the difference between the Handle and channel URL on YouTube?
Basically the same, both are set so that each channel has a unique link/URL so as not to be confused with similar channel names – look alike or clones. However, the handle has another function, which is that it can be used to mention and tag other users in the comments, video titles, etc.
Generally, if you already have a custom channel URL, that custom URL will be set as the address of your handle. However, if you want to use a different handle address, it can be changed in the settings, provided that the handle address is not used by another channel.
For example, below is the channel name, custom URL address, and handle address of the Rindi Tech channel on Youtube.
- Channel name:
- Custom URL: youtube.com
- Handle: @ (youtube.com/)
The custom URL and handle data above have a slight difference (there is an “@” sign), but if we enter the two addresses in the address bar in the browser, it will immediately open the same youtube channel, namely the Rindi Tech YouTube channel.
Things to Know About YouTube Handles
Before you claim your YouTube handle, a few things to know and keep in mind.
1. YouTube handles are nothing but usernames for your channel account. Everyone can create one easily from both desktop and mobile platforms.
2. Like usernames, handles have to be unique and you cannot take a handle that is already in use on YouTube. Also, you cannot use spaces in between the handle, you can only use alphabets, period, underscore, hyphen, and numbers. Each handle name can be between 3 to 30 characters long.
3. Previously, people who had above 100 subscribers had the option to create a custom URL. The name you have set for your custom URL will be reserved for your handle name by default. However, you have the option to change it if needed.
4. You can add this handle to youtube.com and make a custom URL. For example, youtube.com/@techwiser is the URL of the channel.
5. Unlike custom URLs before that only allowed channels with more than 100 subscribers to apply, anyone can create a YouTube handle and take advantage of a clean URL. Having a clean URL helps share and promote your channel. Also, the URL doesn’t look like a scam link with a string of 24 random characters.
How to change the name of the YouTube Handle
- Make sure you are logged into the YouTube account you want to change
- Go to the YouTube Studio page
- On the sidebar menu, please select Customize
- In the Customization sub-menu, please open the Basic Info menu
- If it is available, you will see a column named “Handle”. Please enter the name of the handle you want in the column. Make sure the name of the handle is still available and selectable.
- If you are sure of the name of your handle, please save the settings by pressing the Publish button.
If it has been saved, you can immediately test it by writing the address “youtube.com/@Your_handle_name” in the address bar of the browser as usual. If successful, your YouTube channel page will immediately open.
How can you change your username on YouTube?
How to Set or Change YouTube Handle on Desktop
YouTube will show a card on the home page of YouTube Studio and they will also send you an email that includes a link to set the YouTube Handle. However, you can manually open the youtube.com/handle link to set the handle for the first time. After November 14, 2022, YouTube will automatically set a default handler for your channel, but you will have the option to change it.
1. Open the web browser of your choice, open YouTube, and make sure that you have logged in with your Google account.
2. You might already have a channel that helps you to comment, subscribe, etc. If you don’t, click on the profile icon at the top right corner and then click on the Create channel option.
3. In the pop-up, YouTube gives the option to enter the name of your channel and set the handle here. Once done, click on Create channel to set the handle at the same time.
4. If you already have a channel, click on the profile icon in the top right corner and select the YouTube Studio option.
5. On YouTube Studio, scroll down and select the Customization option in the left sidebar.
6. On the Customization page, select the Basic Info tab at the top of the page.
7. Here you should find the handle option. As mentioned, YouTube will automatically set a handle for you, but you can change the handle’s name.