How to Duplicate a Page or Post in WordPress
Duplicating a page or post in WordPress can mean more than simply copying and pasting the content. You can also retain the page template, SEO data, and images, in order to save time when redesigning your website or updating your content.
Fortunately, duplicating pages and posts and all their associated data in WordPress can be easy. There are simple ways to get the job done, both with and without a plugin.
In this article, we’ll look at how to create a WordPress duplicate page clone or post safely and introduce some plugins that can help. Let’s jump right in!
Duplicating Page or Post with WordPress Plugin
You might be thinking of manually copying and pasting your WordPress post or page to make a duplicate. Moreover, WordPress now provides the ‘copy all content’ option within its block editor. However, for duplicating pages and posts, this process is not ideal.
When you manually duplicate a post or a page in WordPress, you’ll only copy the text of your content. This means that you’ll have to copy your page template, images, and SEO elements such as meta descriptions and title tags separately.
Not only will the process take a long time, but it will also be frustrating if you have many WordPress posts, pages, or custom post types to duplicate.
Duplicating a page or a post can also harm your position in search rankings. However, there are times when you need to duplicate your content and reuse it as a template for a new post or a page on your WordPress website.
Fortunately, with the help of a post duplication plugin, you can easily duplicate pages or posts without having to worry about making any errors.
Take a look at our selection of the best WordPress plugins to duplicate posts, pages, and custom post types. Plus, we’ll also show how to use them:
1. Duplicate Post
One of the go-to options for WordPress page and post cloning is Duplicate posts. This popular plugin is easy to use and clones everything from the content of the page or post to the associated comments. It also offers a prefix or suffix option, to differentiate your original post and the clone.
To duplicate a WordPress post with this tool, you just need to:
- Install and activate the plugin.
- In your WordPress dashboard, go to Posts > All when cloning posts, or Pages > All when cloning pages.
- Navigate to the original page or post you want to copy, and click on Clone to duplicate it.
- Multiple pages or posts can be selected, and you can clone them all at once using Bulk Actions.
2. Yoast Duplicate Post
This plugin allows users to clone posts of any type, or copy them to new drafts for further editing.
Just click the Clone link on the post or page editing page and the plugin will do the rest.
It also allows you to bulk clone your content using Bulk options.
- Select post types allowed to be cloned.
- Add custom prefixes & suffixes to the title after cloning.
- Allow you to customize the meta fields that must not be copied.
- Allow you to determine which Roles are allowed to copy.
- Show the original item.
3. Duplicate Page and Post
Duplicate Page and Post enables you to duplicate pages and posts in WordPress quickly. The plugin can duplicate a page or post without changing post type, content, title, or style.
Using this plugin is relatively easy. You just need to follow these steps to duplicate a post or a page in WordPress:
- After installing and activating the plugin, go to the All Pages or All Posts menu in your WordPress dashboard, depending on what you want to duplicate.
- Hover over the post or page you want to clone and click Duplicate.
- The cloned post or page will appear as a new draft with the same name as the original. Open the copy to edit the content.
4. Post Duplicator
Another simple cloning plugin is Post Duplicator. This solution creates an exact duplicate of any post or page, including custom post types, custom fields, and custom taxonomies. It’s quick and easy to use, and shouldn’t add much weight to your site.
To duplicate content with this tool, follow these steps:
- Install the plugin and activate it.
- Navigate to Posts > All or Pages > All to find the content you want to clone.
- Hover over the post or page.
- Click on the Duplicate Page or Duplicate Post option.
Duplicating WordPress Pages or Posts Without Plugins
Besides using plugins, another method to duplicate posts and pages is by adding code to your functions.php file. To activate a duplication link, you can either use an FTP client, an HTML editor, or a built-in WordPress file editor.
If you’re going with the second option, read our article to find out the best HTML editor for editing code.
On the other hand, if you want to use an inbuilt file editor for duplicating posts or pages on your site, navigate to Appearance in your WordPress dashboard. Go to Theme Editor and select Theme Functions.
Alternatively, you can use Hostinger’s File Manager to configure the functions.php file.
Now, let’s look at the step-by-step instructions to duplicate a page or a post on your WordPress website.
1. Enable Cloning via funtions.php Code
One of the manual ways to clone a WordPress page or post is to edit the code in your functions.php file. While this can be easy to do, you do need to be cautious and make a backup of your website first.
To enable cloning for posts, you’ll need to access your functions.php file and open it for editing, using Secure File Transfer Protocol (FTP) or whatever other method you prefer.
2. How to Duplicate a Page in WordPress via the functions.php File
The process for duplicating a page in WordPress is pretty simple. All you have to do is replace the last line of the code above with the following snippet:
add_filter('page_row_actions', 'rd_duplicate_post_link', 10, 2);
Once you have successfully embedded the code above, you should see a Duplicate button in the All Posts or All Pages menu.
3. Manually Copy & Paste Code to Duplicate a Page
If you do not want to edit your functions.php file, you can manually copy and paste the code for the page or post you want to clone. To do this, you will need to:
- Open the page or post you want to duplicate.
- Click on the More Tools & Options menu.
- Select Code Editor.
- Copy the code for the page or post.
- Click on New Post or New Page.
- In the new post or page, open the Code Editor.
- Paste in the code.
- Click on the More Tools & Options menu.
- Select Visual Editor.
- The new page or post should now be a clone of the old one.
This process can take a little time, and you’ll need to do it individually for each page or post you want to copy. That’s why we recommend using a WordPress duplicate page plugin if you’re looking to duplicate a lot of content.
We hope you find the tutorial and all the tools we recommend in the article helpful to duplicate a page or a post in WordPress.
Duplicating a page or a post in WordPress can be useful in so many ways. Perhaps you want to duplicate your current page for future website design references. Or, you might need to duplicate an existing post to reuse it as a template.
While you can duplicate a page or a post manually with a copy and paste, it can be a hassle if you handle a lot of content.
First, you can duplicate a post or page in WordPress using a plugin. For this purpose, there are three different plugins you can choose: Duplicate Post, Duplicate Page and Post, and Post Duplicator.
Related More Posts :