How to Successfully Use ChatGPT in Email Marketing
Hardly any other topic is currently experiencing as much hype in the marketing and digital industry and is being discussed as controversially as this one: the language model chatbot ChatGPT. In general, AI – artificial intelligence – is the number one trend topic in 2023.
In email marketing tools and AI technologies simplifying your workflows and making them more efficient are becoming more and more relevant. The new AI chatbot ChatGPT creates and optimizes content, gives details answers to your questions, and even suggests email marketing strategies.
What is ChatGPT?
ChatGPT by OpenAI was introduced. It is built on GPT-3.5 and has amazing language processing skills. We’re talking about answering complex questions, writing poetry, and even transforming industries like healthcare, education, marketing, and customer service. It’s quite similar to chatting with a real human, which is revolutionizing the chatbot game.
This chatbot became so popular that it gained a whopping one million users in less than five days! However, it started being down several times a day most of the time, which was upsetting for the users. So OpenAI developed a solution – a premium subscription called ChatGPT Plus. Users can access the chatbot for only $20/month, even when the free version is down or at capacity.
How many marketers are using ChatGPT?
Our recent LinkedIn survey found that more than three-quarters of marketers want to use ChatGPT to improve their marketing performance, but only 40% are actively doing so right now.
Sometimes, it can be difficult to know where to start. That’s why we’ve created a Quick Win for Smart Insights Business Members to rapidly review and assess new ChatGPT opportunities in 2023.
This guide is for anyone looking to learn more about ChatGPT but would be particularly useful for marketers executing or managing channel specialisms.
How Does ChatGPT Work?
- The software interacts with the user based on “prompts”, which are commands you type into the chat window. The language model then uses its knowledge of language patterns and context to generate a response.
- Further prompts within the same chat will allow you to elaborate on your previous statements, clarify your commands, or ask a question based on them.
- Every chat window is like a blank page: ChatGPT starts a new conversation without the context of any previous command.
- As with briefing a human copywriter, the same applies here: The more precise the command entered and the more context ChatGPT receives, the more targeted the result.
How to Successfully Use ChatGPT in Email Marketing
Let’s delve into the world of email marketing and uncover how you can leverage the power of ChatGPT to craft compelling campaigns, captivating subject lines, and persuasive content that enchant your email subscribers.
In this section, you’ll navigate through the ChatGPT use cases for email marketing like – Email campaigns, writing email sequences, email newsletters, cold emails, guest post pitches, building an email list, measuring email marketing metrics, and managing emails.
1. What Are the Benefits of ChatGPT for Email Marketing?
- Time-saving: ChatGPT automatically generates text snippets in a few seconds that you can insert (after a quick edit) into your email campaigns.
- Personalization: ChatGPT lets AI use relevant information from your target audience to create personalized newsletter copy.
- Text optimization: Optimize the language and tone of your email campaigns by having ChatGPT point out possible errors or ambiguities in your text and offer suggestions for improvement.
- Multilingual: Translate your email campaigns into different languages with ChatGPT.
- A/B-Testing: ChatGPT can suggest different text variations and writing styles for your email campaigns. You can then A/B test your newsletter to find out what content resonates best with your target audience.
- Increasing open rates: ChatGPT creates engaging and effective subject lines and can improve the open rate of your newsletters.
2. What are the implications for marketing?
At a practical level, I think success in digital marketing requires three factors to succeed in communicating with your audience, that is, to provide relevance and value and to change the way they think. I think any marketer who is involved with devising communications for the website, social media, or email marketing and then spending copywriting can potentially benefit from ChatGPT by becoming more productive AND producing better quality copy. Not by slavishly using the answers ChatGPT produces, but using it to prompt and improve upon your approach and to iterate on it. This is regardless of their experience and the size and type of company they work in. It’s a great supporting tool to evolve your knowledge, to ‘learning by doing’, aka experiential learning. If you believe in lifelong learning it can support anyone.
3. Writing Newsletter Content with ChatGPT
One of the most important decisions when sending out an email is choosing the right newsletter subject line. It needs to be both engaging and informative to grab the recipient’s attention and get them to open the newsletter. ChatGPT can help you to automatically generate subject lines that will arouse the curiosity of your recipients. You can also use ChatGPT to create different versions of your subject line and run an A/B test in your newsletter.
ChatGPT allows you to personalize your subject lines by specifying your target audience and the subject of your newsletter. The more information the AI has about the context of the newsletter and your target audience, the more personalized the generated subject line will be. This increases the likelihood that your recipients will open the newsletter and read the content.
4. Can ChatGPT replicate a discussion between a digital marketing consultant and a client?
This example is for an SME and is reminiscent of a recent conversation that I had with the marketing manager of Upbeat Clean, an ethical office cleaning business based in Derby. So, I decided to continue with an evolution of the conversation which was similar to what I had with the owner of the business. In developing our resources for Smart Insights such as our marketing playbooks and templates, I’ve always looked to follow a model of providing guidance by specifying and prompting the questions marketers should be asking to get more performance from the resources available, so I love that this tool can mimic a Q&A approach to improve marketing results, albeit dependent on the quality of the training data.
5. Creating Email Marketing Automation Workflows with ChatGPT
Use email automation to create extensive newsletter workflows in CleverReach and save time by sending them out completely automated. Your account comes with a variety of pre-built automation templates for common use cases, such as abandoned shopping cart reminders, birthday emails, and welcome emails.
If you want to create your own automation workflows, you can use ChatGPT to outline them. Think about who you want the automation to be for and on what occasions or triggers. ChatGPT can then give you inspiration for a possible email workflow.